Monday, January 10, 2011

In Whose Name?

Remember learning about the Speakeasies from the 1920s where, if you wanted to get an alcoholic drink, you would have to mention a powerful name to get in?  Then think about this Bible verse where Jesus says,

  • "23 At that time you won’t need to ask me for anything. The truth is you can go directly to the Father and ask him, and he will grant your request because you use my name.
  •  
  • 24 You haven’t done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy.
  •  
  • 25 I have spoken of these matters in figures of speech, but soon I will stop speaking figuratively and will tell you plainly all about the Father. 26 Then you will ask in my name. I’m not saying I will ask the Father on your behalf,
  •  
  • 27 for the Father himself loves you dearly because you love me and believe that I came from God.[b]"
  • John 16: 23-27

Get it?  Powerful stuff, isn't it?

Since I learn more by doing and seeing,  when I was praying last night, I wrote, "Jesus sent me", on a piece of paper; so, as I was talking to the God--the Father, I pushed the paper forward--like they would as they tried to get into the Speakeasie.  Yes, I know it may seem childish, but our Father understands.  See, this was my was of telling God that Jesus' name gives me the ability to come to Him, to speak boldy to Him, to ask Him  for help.

Yes, Jesus did indeed send me!  Jesus' name opens doors!  While we are here, don't forget that, "...we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him. 15 And since we know he hears us when we make our requests, we also know that he will give us what we ask for."  I John 5: 14 -15

And James 1:5,6 reminds us, "If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask him, be sure that you really expect him to answer."

I want to caution you that the "name it and cliam it stuff doesn't work MOST of the time becuase we forget the other Bible verse that wanrs us that, "...when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure." (James 4:3)

So, this is not a formula for prayer folks, but God's way of parenting.  Those of us who are parents readily recognize God's ways of giving us what we ask for because we make the same conditions to our children.

As I finish here, whatever you do today, remember the POWER of the name of Jesus.

Happy New Year!

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment